Android is an open source and Linux-based Operating System for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers. Android was developed by the Open Handset Alliance, led by Google, and other companies.
Android offers a unified approach to application development for mobile devices which means developers need only develop for Android, and their applications should be able to run on different devices powered by Android.
Skill set required to become an android developer:
As android applications are usually developed in the Java language using the Android Software Development Kit, If you planning to become an android developer you need to have knowledge of following tools and technologies:
- Java JDK5 or later version
- Android SDK
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6
- Android Studio or Android Development Tools (ADT) Eclipse Plug-in (optional)
- Eclipse IDE for Java Developers (optional)
- Android User Interface
- Android advanced concepts.